"Challenge students with a real-world problem that is difficult and let them solve it to the best of their ability… At Highland, our students respond to this." HENRY D. BERG, HEAD OF SCHOOL
At Highland, we believe self-knowledge is the bedrock for lifelong growth. Since 1928, we've been providing students with rich and challenging experiences in a supportive, personalized environment that fosters a sense of diversity. We understand that students have different pathways to success and so we aim to meet students “where they are” through a combination of traditional academics and experiential practices.
Our classrooms are lively and purposeful; our faculty is experienced and innovative. We’re looking for bright, motivated students who want to discover their best selves and acquire the skills needed to make meaningful contributions to our complex world. We'd love to have you to visit our campus, hear more about our programs, and meet our students and teachers for yourself!
Frequently Asked Questions About Highland School
Here are some answers to questions we frequently receive from new students and families. Have other questions? Please feel free to contact Donna Tomlinson, Highland's Director of Admission and Tuition Assistance via email at email@example.com or at 540-878-2740.
Highland's Nondiscriminatory Policy
Diversity is a priority at Highland School. Read our complete nondiscriminatory policy here.
Managing the cost of tuition is a consideration for every family interested in an independent school education. To help, we use an easy and accessible approach called "Indexed Tuition" that bases tuition on how much a family can contribute toward its child's tuition.
Highland School is conveniently located on a 42-acre campus in the heart of Warrenton, Virginia. We offer 183,300 square feet of educational space across three divisions. The school employs a full-time faculty and staff of 99.
Highland School currently has an enrollment of 509 students. The school's enrollment breaks down as follows:
- Lower School (Pre-K2 to Grade 4) currently enrolls 146 students
- Middle School (Grades 5-8) currently enrolls 103 students
- Upper School (Grades 9-12) currently enrolls 260 students
Highland's academic hours are 8:00 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Before and after care is available. To read more about Highland's extended care program for students from Kindergarten to Grade 8, click here.
School offices are open from 8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m. during the academic year.
- All students in Grades 6, 7, and 8 play interscholastic sports during the last two periods of the regular school day.
- Upper School sports teams practice and play their games after school.
- Highland School provides bus transportation to selected locations. For more information about drop-off and pickup times and locations for our before- and after-school transportation services, please click here.
- Highland School provides bus transportation to/from all away games for students participating in team sports.
- Yes. Art and music are a part of the regular school day for all students, K-12
- Beginning in Middle School, there are extracurricular (outside of class) options in visual and performing arts as well.
- Lower and Middle School physical education and team sports take place during the regular school day four days a week. Upper School students participate in sports after school, beginning at 3:30pm.
- Middle School play and musical rehearsals typically begin at 3:30pm.
Attend an Open House
Throughout the course of the year, Highland offers opportunities for families to visit our campus. You can also take a virtual tour of our campus any time! Check out the links below for more: